Friday, April 8, 2011

Ethiopia - Strawberry Fields

In early March, Shell and I headed to the Strawberry Fields Eco-Lodge in the Konso region of Ethiopia to volunteer for two weeks.  We worked with existing volunteers, interns and local workers in the gardens, fields and hills where we helped pick, plant and dig for eight hours a day, six days a week.
 
Strawberry Fields
Our room
Shell with friend
Making a new compost pile
It was a great experience to be involved with the Konso locals and also to get an idea of how permaculture works.  My hands are still blistered from all of the shoveling I did.  My main role involved digging swales with two local ladies, Dowat and Misdowat.  This took up about 9 of my 12 days on the farm.


Adam and Dowat
Those bloody swales
Shell was more involved with the garden, making seed packets, planting out new plants and moving banana trees, yet she also regularly jumped into the swales to help out with picking and digging.

No comments:

Post a Comment